Space

June 30, 2010

Space is an interesting concept. The first time I travelled to Europe, I realized that people differ in their opinion of space. One of my best friends grew up in Berlin and expressed the foreignness of the concept of the wide open space we enjoy in Canada. It was only when I travelled to see the world where she grew up that I realized the difference in our worlds. For a girl that grew up on the Port Maitland beach, Berlin seemed quite crowded to me.

Sometimes a picture really does help to describe a situation better than words could ever do. Crowded? Perhaps. Happy non-the-less? Definitely. My current concept of space is quite different than most impressions I’ve shared as a result of my experiences to date. This place truly does teach a person to appreciate something to call one’s own. My place in the headquarters room is on the floor in the right side of the picture and, to be honest, I am very happy where I live and wouldn’t have it any other way. For those of you who have sent me care packages, you’ll see the contents piled high on my cot. I got 4 of them on the same day from a ‘big stork’ and piled my bed sky high with goodies as I opened everything as though I was 6 again and it was my own personal holiday. There are no words (and in this case no pictures) adequate to explain how you all sustain me with your love and support. Thank you.

7 Comments

1. Sandra MacDonald says:

Space is definitely an interesting concept, but your space there is quite different, I am assuming, than any other space you have occupied. Isn’t it great how you can adapt and be thankful where you are? We are all very thankful for you and what you are doing. Keep up the good work! You are being prayed for daily.

2. Farrah Collette says:

Ash, I have so many philosophical questions and comments about space, like the way we measure it, occupy it, our belief that we can own it. But these thoughts will wait until they are more developped.
    For now, I will point to a less serious note to remind you of the space you and I shared with the rats in hut 2 on Mount Cameroon. I would like to go back to that space sometime with you. Although rats crawled on our heads the whole night, and your hiking boots hit the walls several times (poor Amadou), I hold dear to that space. I have come to understand that space is not something that we should own individualistically, but it is something that we share with people, with moments, with memories.

3. Mum says:

Hey my Honey,
    I love your new house and I love that you love it. It is truely remarkable how one can view home, comfort and space. I’m so glad you are who you are. I am so glad to see where you live and to see your “decorations” are quite practical. :o) Thanks for the post and the pic. Love always.

4. …..There comes a time in life when you walk away from the pointless drama and people who create it, and surround yourself with people who make you laugh soo hard that you forget the bad and focus on the good …… Life is too short to be anything but happy. ….. taught about you when i was reading this its perfect dont u think lol rodney.

5. Aram says:

There’s something about having a spot to call your own isn’t there? Thanks for sending these posts out for us back home. You are definitely in our thoughts. Excited for when our spaces intersect again. Peace.

6. Lynda says:

Hi Ash,

Well Darwin said, “It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. ”
    I believe you are incredibly strong, extremely intelligent and happily eminently adaptable! (as is one of my other great loves on this earth) 🙂
    Stay safe, stay strong.

Love ya Lynda

• Mum says:

It takes special people to adapt to these kind of changes eh Lynda? I thank God everyday for those special people like our children…all of them. Thanks for thinking of Ash. I love you for it.